"The miracles of nature do not seem miracles because they are so common. If no one had ever seen a flower, even a dandelion would be the most startling event in the world."

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sometimes Special Needs Moms Feel Like They Can Do It.

I thought it made a good parallel with my last post. :) Please excuse my generalities, I know I'm very knew to this game and I don't mean to be oversimplifying anyone else's journey. I think I need to break it down into very small pieces for myself right now as I process.

Tonight D finished the girlie's sand and water table. I'll post pictures later! It's gorgeous. Her indoor sensory table should be finished in the next couples days. She was delighted and played with the sand until she had to come inside. The cashier asked D if he was getting organized (storage bins) and he said he was making a stim table for his daughter who has SPD - we don't have an specific diagnosis yet but we know her struggles lie somewhere in the sensory processing/integration range. It was cool to hear him explain it in his own words. The cashier has a fifteen year old son who has sensory issues and likes washing dishes even though it takes him forever because he's soothing himself with the feel of the water on his hands. At dinner the sauce on the R's chicken was too spicy for her and we got her fresh rice and traded her our chicken that had the sauce mostly wiped off from stirring it into our rice. It worked and it felt easy.

It's funny, just like the little things make this real and leave me crying, it's also the little things that every once in a while make me feel like I can do this. I'm learning to really enjoy those moments when I have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment